After making a two detachable peplums (4 more to go) I though I’d give making a peplum top a go, so far so good. I like tartan but I don’t own a tartan top…. until now!!
Here are some progress photos
The top half of this garment was cut from a self drafted singlet pattern, the armholes are big so it’s airy and good for layering. For the peplum I measured and cut straight onto the fabric, this makes the waist bigger than needed which I prefer as I can cut it down to size.
I like how the peplum is on the bias while the top is straight on the grain. I think the peplum has more drape this way.
Zip to be inserted here.
Where the collar’s concerned, I managed to top stitch the bottom of one collar but not the other as it kept breaking. I’ll unpick it or just be lazy and colour it in. This part was so hard to sew as I used a thick leatherette as I couldn’t find the thinner one I used to make my shorts.
All I have to do now is sew bias binding on the neckline, armholes and maybe the peplum. I’ll use fleece for this as I have a lot of it and it stretches, I’m thinking of doing this my hand as I don’t think my machine can take any more thick leatherette!
That being said I do want to make a thin leatherette/wet look peplum top after this one is complete.