I downloaded and printed this free Madeleine Mini Bloomers pattern around a year or two ago but I didn’t get around to making them sooner as I wanted to trace the pieces instead of cutting it out.
After staring at them for ages I decided to go ahead and put the scissors to paper and I’m glad I did!
I used shoelaces to gather the legs and I didn’t bother with sewing channels to thread them through. I may change the laces to ribbon at a later date. I also used 1″ elastic as I couldn’t find the thin elastic that this pattern required, I also wanted my version to be slightly different to some of the other makes I’ve seen.
I was warned on the pattern makers website that this sits very low on the waist (as shown on the model), I thought I’d go ahead with it as I don’t have anything else that sits this low besides me knickers!
I like where it sits on me, the only little criticism is that they don’t quite cup under my buttocks but that’s what I get for inheriting my moms badoink. I’m happy with how these have turned out, so much so that I am currently making a white pair cut from a pillow case. J likes them too, I asked him if I should make a shiny, satin pair. He liked the idea.
I wan’t to try making the original style long bloomers as they can look cute in the right fabric.